Who wouldn’t want to give the best care to their elder relatives? But providing around-the-clock support may always not be possible. With increasing age, seniors require assistance for various tasks ranging from reminders for medications to transportation aid. These requirements are different for everyone.
As a senior yourself, you may feel the need for assistance but wouldn’t want to transfer to a nursing home or old-age care. If so, you can opt for skilled care services in the comfort of your home. Know how you can beat the old age issues with skilled elder care services at home.
When is Home Care Services Needed?
The majority of the seniors prefer staying at home till it is possible. Home care services help you to be independent and provide all the required care by skilled professionals. For instance, you had surgery, you will be provided all the care instead of staying at the nursing home. It is seen that home care services aid in faster healing and an almost 50% reduction in the frequency of doctor services.
You may need home care services in the following cases:
- Inability to carry out daily activities such as taking medicines, bathing, or cooking
- Dependence on a caregiver due to a disorder or physical disability
- Suffering from any condition that requires immense care
- Dealing with after-effects of any condition such as stroke
- Suffering from dementia or Alzheimer’s
Types of Skilled Elder Home Care Services
Depending on your needs, you can opt for medical or non-medical home care services. Here are the types of home services you can select from:
- Medical professional care services: This type of care involves help from professionals such as nurses, physician’s assistants, physicians, or occupational and physical therapists.
- Non-medical care services: It includes personal care attendants, companions, health assistants, and homemakers. You can get assistance and care for daily activities such as bathing, dressing, grooming, feeding, toileting, and oral care. Care is also provided for shopping, cooking, changing linen, housekeeping, financial management, and laundry.
- Dementia home care services: As there are multiple symptoms associated with dementia, 24-hour monitoring is essential for anyone with dementia. Early intervention with home care services can help to manage the symptoms as well as delay its progression. Every day can be different with dementia. On some days you can manage to run errands by yourself, while other days may require assistance even for reminding medications. Getting skilled elder care services at home will allow you to live comfortably and safely at your home. This will also help to prevent irritation and confusion. A skilled caregiver will help you to manage all the symptoms at all the stages of dementia, without having to stay away from your home.
- Alzheimer’s home care services: Alzheimer’s is a kind of dementia that progresses gradually and may involve hallucinations, suspicion, agitation, and aggression. This type of service provides breathing space for the family members. It also provides care when a family member is not present at home. Having someone to take care of all this at home prevents the stress and anxiety of being shifted to a nursing home or other such institutes.
So, skilled elder home care services help to:
- Encourage social engagement and interaction at the comfort of home
- Keep seniors safe and help them remain calm
- Reduce behavioural and cognitive symptoms
- Provide updates and support to the family members
- Perform daily activities
- Run errands
- Medication and financial management
Find out about home care nursing services in Ottawa